We seek to minimise our impact on the environment through energy-efficient and environmentally-friendly ship designs, technologies and practices at sea and ashore. Initiatives that reduce our environmental impact include:
Fuel-efficient Operational Measures
- Adaptive autopilot systems reduce rudder movements and improve course-keeping by automatically adapting to load characteristics and weather conditions.
- Our home-grown Right Speed Programme determines optimal operating speeds based on prevailing freight rates and fuel prices.
- Optimal scheduling of our fleet, coupled with fuel-efficient voyage planning minimises ballast passages, results in fuel savings.
Improving Hull and Propulsion Hydrodynamics
- Fitting propeller boss cap fins improves propulsion hydrodynamics and reduces shaft torque, which improves fuel efficiency and reduces emissions.
- Application of anti-fouling paints over a larger hull area (up to summer load line) reduces drag and improves fuel efficiency even when fully laden.
- Computer-aided calculation and monitoring of hull performance over time allows us to optimise hull condition management.
- By continually renewing our fleet, we introduce ships with fuel-efficient hull designs and machinery, which reduces fuel consumption.
Reducing Marine Discharges
- Our ISO 14001 ISM-compliant safety management system prescribes system controls, procedural safeguards and training to prevent and respond to oil spillage.
- Oily water separators and oil discharge monitoring equipment minimise the risk of inadvertently pumping out contaminated bilge water.
- IMO-compliant ballast water management plans set out strict practices to minimise the spread of aquatic species.
- We comply with conventions on bilge water discharge and harmful antifouling hull coatings.
- Garbage compactors on our ships facilitate easy storage of operational garbage (excluding food waste and cargo residues) until it can be disposed of responsibly on shore.
Improving Engine Performance
- Fuel combustion catalysts facilitate more complete and cleaner combustion. This leads to fuel savings and reduces the frequency of engine overhaul maintenance.
- Optimisation of cylinder lubrication and machinery overhaul intervals leads to reduced lubricating oil consumption.
Green Efforts for On Shore Policies and practices are in place to:
- Reduce consumption of electricity, water and materials.
- Recycle office waste.
- Messages, guidelines and communications are regularly posted and published.
Our people are central to our business. For our employees to be passionate about their work, it is vital that we create workplace conditions, job expectations and career opportunities that allow our people to thrive. We believe that the right investment in our employees – both at sea and ashore – does much to increase knowledge, productivity, contribution, and promote a deeper sense of belonging across our organisation. Employee engagement broadly takes the following forms:
- High-quality offices and facilities offer employees a safe and comfortable work environment. These include good lighting and air conditioning and ergonomic workstations.
- We encourage a healthy balance between family life and work.
- We keep our employees engaged through newsletters, information circulars, town hall meetings, an open-door policy, and mechanisms for staying connected such as an intranet and instant messaging system.
Health & Safety
- Our SQHE policy in conjunction with Pacific Basin Management System ensures employment standards and certifications comply with the STCW Code.
- Risk assessment systems help identify and maintain appropriate safeguards and practices.
- We promote teamwork and a no-blame culture which drive an excellent safety record.
- Training, best practices and adherence to “Best Management Practices against piracy” are followed in high-risk areas to mitigate the threat of piracy attacks.
Development and Training
- Investment in the education and development of our staff at sea and ashore enhances the safety and productivity of our employees.
- Motivating and engaging our employees is essential to retaining our people.
- Crew conferences, training seminars and cadet programmes facilitate staff development and collaboration and offer a clear path of advancement within the ranks of our crew.
Diversity and Equal Opportunity
- We are proud to employ a diverse group of individuals across a broad range of nationalities and ethnicities.
- We strive to maintain balanced staff age and gender demographics.
- We strive to maintain a healthy rate of employee retention both ashore and at sea.
- Our retention rate speaks volumes about the job fulfilment and shore-based support we offer our seafarers.
- All employees are entitled to employment that is free of sexual or racial harassment and discrimination.
Responsible Business Practices
- We honour our commitments.
- We seek to know our customers and their business and adhere to trading practices that comply fully with local, regional and international maritime law.
- Our staff are required to observe internal and external codes of conduct prohibiting bribery, fraud, competitive behaviour and corruption.
- Stores and spares are purchased from approved suppliers.
We seek to ensure that the interests of the community are represented within Pacific Basin and vice versa, which we achieve by:
- Maintaining regular engagement with stakeholders and organisations connected to the shipping industry and the places and jurisdictions in which we operate.
- Ensuring we comply with the laws and regulations of the jurisdictions in which we operate.
- Being mindful of the implications of our business activities on our communities and stakeholders.
- Donating financially to seafarer welfare organisations and thus giving back to a deserving community and a cause most closely connected to our business.
Corporate GovernanceGood Corporate Governance enhances stakeholder confidence in Pacific Basin as a partner and a place to invest.
Our CSR ApproachCSR is about recognising our responsibilities to the safety and wellbeing of our staff, the environment and the communities in which we operate.
2017 CSR ReportView our online CSR Report View our CSR Report (PDF)