Who We Are
Pacific Basin is one of the world's leading owners and operators of modern Handysize and Supramax dry bulk ships
- We are passionate about our customers, our people and our business
- Our vision is to be the global leader in minor bulk shipping and the partner of choice for customers and other stakeholders
- We work closely with our customers to understand and meet their individual and changing needs
- We strive to deliver an industry-leading localised, tailored and responsive freight service, and we appreciate the value of long-term relationships over short-term gain
- We provide around 500 industrial producers, traders and users of dry bulk commodities with a high-quality, reliable and competitive freight service under spot and long-term cargo contracts
- Our large fleet of approximately 250 ships and our network of 13 offices on 6 continents enable a truly global service for all our customers on any route, anywhere, anytime
- Having our own ships, crews and in-house technical operations enhances responsiveness and seamless service and support for customers
- Our company is headquartered and listed in Hong Kong
A Customer-Focused Business
With you for the long haul
Our business model is customer-focused. We offer a personalised, flexible, responsive and reliable service, and look for ways to make it easier for you to do business with us.
Our customer service is world-class, thanks to the passion shared by all our staff to deliver to the best of their ability.
We offer our customers
- Long-term partnership
- Global knowledge & local presence
- Face-to-face interaction
- Responsive action
- Counterparty confidence
- World-leading minor bulk shipping expertise, solid track record and expert understanding of the shipping cycles
- Customer and cargo-focused business model, high fleet utilisation and time charter equivalent (TCE) earnings premium over market rates
- Robust cost control, competitive operating costs, conservative gearing and strong financial health
- Commitment to strong corporate governance – sound internal controls, transparency and accountability to all stakeholders – which underpins everything we do
Together, these strengths enhance confidence in Pacific Basin as a preferred counterparty for our customers and a compelling place to invest.
We have a focused strategy, robust customer-focused business model and competitive edge, supported by our key drivers:
- Experienced team working across an extensive global network, sharing a passion for service
- Close customer partnerships, generating enhanced access to spot cargoes and long-term cargo contracts
- Large fleet of substitutable ships, facilitating reliable service and scheduling flexibility
- Strong corporate and financial profile, reflecting a strong cash position and best-in-class governance, CSR and reporting
This leads to outstanding customer service, superior fleet utilisation, and enhanced TCE earnings and attractive long-term returns for our shareholders over the shipping cycle.
- We are ship owners and operators – we own over 110 ships and operate over 130 more under charter.
- Our fleet of around 250 Handysize and Supramax ships is one of the world’s largest fleets of modern minor bulk ships.
- We combine our fleet size, global office network and local understanding to provide customers with class-leading service.
- All our ships are designed and equipped to fit our trades for the long term. Built mainly in Japan, they offer superior reliability, longevity, value retention and fuel efficiency.
- Our award-winning in-house technical operations facilitate service quality and reliability.
Our Board comprises 10 Directors whose complementary expertise and shared commitment to responsible investment and management practices is harnessed in the best interests of our diverse shareholders and other stakeholders.
- Chairman and Executive Director David Turnbull was appointed in 2008
- Chief Executive Officer Mats Berglund was appointed in 2012
- Chief Financial Officer Peter Schulz joined in 2017
We employ over 4,100+ seafarers and 340+ onshore staff
Our corporate headquarters are in Hong Kong, and our global network spans 13 offices across six continents.
As at 2020 Annual Results (in USD):
- $208.2m Net Loss incl. US$200m impairment
- $19.4m underlying loss
- $1,470.9m revenue
- $184.7m EBITDA
- $234.8m cash position as at 31 December 2020
- $362.5m total available liquidity
Pacific Basin shares (Stock code: 2343) have traded on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange since 2004. Our stock is a constituent member of the Hang Seng sub index series and the MSCI index series, and it is eligible for Southbound Trading under the Shenzhen-Hong Kong Stock Connect Programme.
3.0% Convertible Bonds due 2025 (Stock code: 40097)