Who We Are
Pacific Basin is a world-leading owner and operator of modern Handysize and Supramax dry bulk ships.
- We are passionate about our customers, our people and our business.
- Our vision is to be the global leader in minor bulk shipping and the partner of choice for customers and other stakeholders.
- We work closely with our customers to understand and meet their individual and changing needs.
- We strive to deliver an industry-leading localised, tailored and responsive freight service, and we appreciate the value of long-term relationships over short-term gain.
- We provide around 500 industrial producers, traders and users of dry bulk commodities with a high-quality, reliable and competitive freight service under spot and long-term cargo contracts.
- Our large fleet of over 200 ships and our network of 12 offices on 6 continents enable a truly global service for all our customers on any route, anywhere, anytime.
Pacific Basin is headquartered and listed in Hong Kong.
A Customer-Focused Business
With you for the long haul
Our business model is customer-focused. We offer a personalised, flexible, responsive and reliable service, and look for ways to make it easier for you to do business with us.
Our customer service is world-class, thanks to the passion shared by all our staff to deliver to the best of their ability.
We offer our customers
- Long-term partnership
- Global knowledge & local presence
- Face-to-face interaction
- Responsive action
- Counterparty confidence
- World-leading minor bulk shipping expertise, solid track record and expert understanding of the shipping cycles
- Customer and cargo-focused business model, high fleet utilisation and time charter equivalent (TCE) earnings premium over market rates
- Robust cost control, competitive operating costs, conservative gearing and strong financial health
- Commitment to strong corporate governance – sound internal controls, transparency and accountability to all stakeholders – which underpins everything we do
Together, these strengths enhance confidence in Pacific Basin as a preferred counterparty for our customers and a compelling place to invest.
We have a focused strategy, robust customer-focused business model and competitive edge, supported by our key drivers:
- Experienced team working across an extensive global network, sharing a passion for service
- Close customer partnerships, generating enhanced access to spot cargoes and long-term cargo contracts
- Large fleet of substitutable ships, facilitating reliable service and scheduling flexibility
- Strong corporate and financial profile, reflecting a strong cash position and best-in-class governance, CSR and reporting
This leads to outstanding customer service, superior fleet utilisation, and enhanced TCE earnings for our shareholders.
- We are ship owners and operators – we own over 100 ships and operate over 100 more under charter.
- Our fleet of over 200 Handysize and Supramax ships is one of the world’s largest fleets of modern minor bulk ships.
- We combine our fleet size, global office network and local understanding to provide customers with class-leading service.
- All our ships are designed and equipped to fit our trades for the long term. Built mainly in Japan, they offer superior reliability, longevity, value retention and fuel efficiency.
- Our award-winning in-house technical operations facilitate service quality and reliability.
Our Board comprises 9 Directors whose complementary expertise and shared commitment to responsible investment and management practices is harnessed in the best interests of our diverse shareholders and other stakeholders.
- Chairman and Executive Director David Turnbull was appointed in 2008
- Chief Executive Officer Mats Berglund was appointed in 2012
- Chief Financial Officer Peter Schulz joined in 2017
We employ over 3,900+ seafarers and 300+ onshore staff
Our corporate headquarters are in Hong Kong, and our global network spans 12 offices across six continents.
As at 2020 Interim Results (in USD):
- $222.4m Net Loss incl. US$198 impairment
- $26.6m underlying loss
- $681.5m revenue
- $79.2m EBITDA
- $316.0m Cash Position as at 30 June 2020
Pacific Basin shares (Stock code: 2343) have traded on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange since 2004. Our stock is a constituent member of the Hang Seng sub index series and the MSCI index series, and it is eligible for Southbound Trading under the Shenzhen-Hong Kong Stock Connect Programme.
3.0% Convertible Bonds due 2025 (Stock code: 40097)