- Our ESG Strategy
- CEO's Sustainability Review
- Environmental Responsibility
- Responsibility to Our People
- Responsible Value Creation
- Responsible Business Fundamentals
- Sustainability policies, governance etc.
Our innovative in-house ship management capability assures the quality of our large fleet of owned ships and growing number of seafarers, enhances our service reliability and drives our sector-leading safety and environmental performance.
As ship owners, our service reliability is enhanced by an innovative and comprehensive in-house ship management capability that assures the quality of our large fleet of owned ships and growing number of seafarers, while also driving our sector-leading safety, wellbeing and environmental performance.
Our experienced team of ship managers provide dependable shore-based support to our fleet so that our seafarers can manage our ships with a strong safety and wellbeing culture and meet the specific needs of our customers.
Our shore-based and ship-board teams work together to ensure operational readiness and service reliability of our ships at all times, as well as compliance with classification society and flag state rules, environmental regulations, labour laws and all other local and international laws and regulations. Their combined efforts are key drivers of stakeholder satisfaction and our Pacific Basin brand.
Our comprehensive ship management function covers:
- Newbuilding and contracting support
- Newbuilding supervision
- Technical support for ship sale and purchase activities
- Technical and crew management of ships
- Marine & safety quality management and superintendence
- Regulatory compliance
- Dry docking supervision
- Safety & security assessments and training
- Internal/external audit corrective action implementation
- Decarbonisation & optimisation
- Projects and retrofits
- Innovations for operational and commercial efficiencies
We operate our own Pacific Basin crewing and training centres in Dalian, Manila and Hong Kong where our crew recruiting, training and management activities are based. Our pool of 3,900 seafarers are mainly from the Philippines and China, and some of our officers and cadets are from India, Ukraine, Hong Kong, Bangladesh and elsewhere.
Our commitment to safety is manifested through a Pacific Basin Management System, innovative home-grown initiatives and significant investment in seafarer training at sea and ashore to standards meeting or exceeding mandatory requirements, and KPIs which are among the best in the industry.
Our Pacific Basin Management System ashore and at sea conforms to the mandatory International Safety Management (ISM) Code. It is also certified by DNV GL Business Assurance to voluntary standards, including:
- ISO 9001:2015 for our quality management system
- ISO 14001:2015 for our environmental management system
- ISO 45001:2018 for our occupational health and safety management system
Award-winning Safety and Quality at Sea
We have won a number of top global and regional industry awards for safety, environmental protection and ESG in recent years, including:
- Gold Award in the Most Sustainable Companies and Organisations (MSCO) (Non-Hang Seng Index (Medium Market Capitalisation) Category) - HKICPA Best Corporate Governance and ESG Awards 2022
- Shipping Company of the Year Award - Seatrade Maritime Award 2022
- Bulk Ship Operator of the Year Award - IBJ Awards 2022
- Grand Award for Excellence in Environmental Positive Impact Commendation for Best ESG Report (Mid-Cap) - Hong Kong ESG Reporting Awards 2022
- Transport and Logistics - Certificate of Merit - Hong Kong Awards for Environmental Excellence 2021
- Special Mention in Most Sustainable Companies / Organizations Awards - Non-Hang Seng Index (Medium Market Capitalization) - HKICPA Best Corporate Governance and ESG Awards 2021
- Grand Award in Best ESG Report (Mid-cap) and Grand Award in Excellence in Environmental Positive Impact - Hong Kong ESG Reporting Awards 2021
- Hong Kong Marine Department award for Outstanding Performance in Port State Control Inspections (13 times in the past 14 years)
- Fuel Efficiency, Ship Manager, Talent Development and Shipping Company of the Year Awards (Finalist) - Seatrade Maritime Awards Asia 2020
- Commendation for Excellence in Social Positive Impact - Hong Kong ESG Reporting Awards 2020
- Best CSR Listed Company Award - Jinganggu Awards 2019
- Excellence in Dry Bulk Shipping - Lloyd's List Asia Pacific Awards 2019
- People Development Award - IBJ Awards 2019
- Fuel Efficiency Award (Finalist) - Seatrade Global Awards 2019
- Customer Care Award - IBJ Awards 2018
- Dry Bulk Operator of the Year - Lloyd’s List Global Awards 2018
- Company of the Year – Lloyd’s List Global Awards 2017
- Safety Award – International Bulk Journal Awards 2017
- CSR Award – Seatrade Maritime Awards 2017
- Safety Award – Lloyd’s List Global Awards 2016
- Ship Operator Award – Lloyd’s List Awards Asia 2015 and 2016
- Best CSR Award – Asian Excellence Recognition Awards 2015
- Shipping Company of the Year – BIMCO Awards 2014
- Environment Award – IBJ Awards 2012
- Shipmanager of the Year – Lloyd’s List Asia Awards 2011
- Environment Award – Lloyd’s List Asia Awards 2011
- Environment Award – Lloyd’s List Global Awards 2011
- Seafarer of the Year – Lloyd’s List Global Awards 2011 (Captain Zhu Qianchun)
The history of our ship management team stretches back well beyond the founding of Pacific Basin, as many of our technical and crew management colleagues served at the venerable Jardine Ship Management which we acquired in 2000.
Responsible business fundamentalsGood corporate governance enhances stakeholder confidence in Pacific Basin as a partner and a place to invest.
Our ESG StrategyESG is about recognising our responsibilities to the safety and wellbeing of our staff, the environment and the communities in which we operate.
2022 Sustainability ReportView our Sustainability Report (PDF)