- Sustainability overview
- Chairman's CSR message
- Our CSR approach
- Corporate governance
- Policies, governance & reporting
Our engagement in and contributions to the communities in which we operate are an important part of sustainability at Pacific Basin.Our Community Performance in 2019
As one of the largest foreign employers of Chinese crew and a significant employer of Filipino crew, we invest in recruitment activities and training programmes in Hong Kong and Dalian (China) and Manila (Philippines) and Odessa. Community donations are focused on the Sailors' Society and Hong Kong Mission to Seafarers. Our Human Resources Director serves as an Asian Ambassador to the Sailors' Society to support seafarer welfare causes.
Our ships trade globally and our crew and employees act as ambassadors for Pacific Basin. Officers and crew conduct themselves accordingly as respectful and law-abiding visitors to host ports, showing warm hospitality towards visitors on board. We make every effort to establish and maintain good relations with port authorities and agents and work to exceed requirements under applicable environmental laws to minimise our impact on cities and ports.
We take an active role in Hong Kong where we are headquartered, listed and where our owned dry bulk fleet is flagged. We are members of the Hong Kong Shipowners Association executive committee, the Shipping Consultative Committee of the Hong Kong Administration and the Seafarer Advisory Board. Our financial support of maritime causes in Hong Kong includes Pacific Basin's annual three-year scholarship to Hong Kong Polytechnic University for students pursuing a degree in International Transport Logistics.
The Shipping and Marine Industry
We are active contributors within the shipping community and have a voice in the international dialogue on topical issues and future legislation in our industry. Pacific Basin and its senior management ensure our regular engagement with the shipping industry and relevant governmental and regulatory bodies through membership of organisations such as:
- International Association of Dry Cargo Shipowners (Intercargo);
- The Baltic and International Maritime Council (BIMCO);
- The Baltic Exchange;
- Executive Committee of the Hong Kong Shipowners Association, an influential organisation within the International Chamber of Shipping and the International Maritime Organization (IMO)
- Sub committees of the Hong Kong Shipowners Association, such as the Marine Sub Committee and the Maritime Education and Training Sub Committee
- Hong Kong Fleet Operations Advisory Committee
- Hong Kong Shipping Register Customer Relations Group
- Lloyd's Register and ClassNK Technical Committees
- American Bureau of Shipping Marine Technical Committee and Greater China Committee
- DNV GL Hong Kong Machinery Group and Greater China Committee
- ClassNK Hong Kong Owners Committee
- Maritime Anti-Corruption Network
- Getting to Zero Coalition
Corporate GovernanceGood Corporate Governance enhances stakeholder confidence in Pacific Basin as a partner and a place to invest.
Our CSR ApproachCSR is about recognising our responsibilities to the safety and wellbeing of our staff, the environment and the communities in which we operate.
2019 CSR ReportView our CSR Report (PDF)