Our innovative in-house ship management capability assures the quality of our large fleet of owned ships and growing number of seafarers, enhances our service reliability and drives our sector-leading safety and environmental performance.
Our expert team of shore-based managers with extensive seafaring experience provides dependable support to our fleet so that our seafarers can manage our ships with a strong safety culture and meet the specific needs of our customers.
Our shore-based and ship-board teams work together to ensure operational readiness and service reliability of our owned ships at all times, and to ensure compliance with classification society and flag state rules, environmental regulations and all other applicable local and international laws and regulations. Their combined efforts are key drivers of stakeholder satisfaction and our Pacific Basin brand value.
Our technical ship management team runs the technical and crewing operations of our owned fleet covering the following key functions:
- Technical management of ships
- Crew selection, recruiting, training and management
- Health, safety, environment and quality management and marine superintendence
- Reulatory compliance
- Dry docking supervision
- Safety and security assessments and training
- Internal/external audits and implementation of preventive actions
- Technical support for ship sale and purchase activity
- Newbuilding and contracting support
- Newbuilding construction supervision
We operate Pacific Basin crewing and training centres in Dalian, Manila and Hong Kong. Our pool of over 3,000 seafarers are from China, the Philippines, Russia and Ukranie (FSU), Hong Kong and Bangladesh. Our ratings are from China and the Philippines.
Our commitment to safety is manifested through a Pacific Basin Management System, innovative home-grown initiatives and significant investment in seafarer training at sea and ashore to standards meeting or exceeding mandatory requirements, and KPIs which are among the best in the industry.
Our Pacific Basin Management System ashore and at sea conforms to the mandatory International Safety Management (ISM) Code. It is also certified by DNV GL Business Assurance to voluntary standards, including:
- ISO 9001:2015 for our quality management system
- ISO 14001:2015 for our environmental management system
- OHSAS 18001:2007 for our occupational health and safety management system
Award-winning Safety and Quality at Sea
We have won a number of top global and regional industry awards for safety, environmental protection and CSR in recent years, including:
- Company of the Year – Lloyd’s List Global Awards 2017
- Safety Award – International Bulk Journal Awards 2017
- CSR Award – Seatrade Maritime Awards 2017
- Safety Award – Lloyd’s List Global Awards 2016
- Ship Operator Award – Lloyd’s List Awards Asia 2015 and 2016
- Best CSR Award – Asian Excellence Recognition Awards 2015
- Hong Kong Marine Department award for Outstanding Performance in Port State Control Inspections (nine times in the past 10 years)
- Shipping Company of the Year – BIMCO Awards 2014
- Environment Award – IBJ Awards 2012
- Shipmanager of the Year – Lloyd’s List Asia Awards 2011
- Environment Award – Lloyd’s List Asia Awards 2011
- Environment Award – Lloyd’s List Global Awards 2011
- Seafarer of the Year – Lloyd’s List Global Awards 2011 (Captain Zhu Qianchun)
The history of our ship management team stretches back well beyond the founding of Pacific Basin, as many of our technical and crew management colleagues served at the venerable Jardine Ship Management which we acquired in 2000.